Sunday, September 19, 2010

Oh the memories...

As I was walking down the aisle of the supermarket, lost in the sea of labels swearing that their product has the lowest calories, carbs, cholesterol, blah blah blah.  Torn between a bag of apples and that box of pop tarts claiming that it's made of whole grains, I caught a glimpse of red, white, and blue.  Since this is not July my interest was peaked and I slowly meandered in that general direction, careful not to show to much excitement.  Lord have mercy what did I see but a glorious "old school" can of Pepsi looking back at me!

Immediately I am taken back to me sitting in the floor of my room, my 8 track blaring Bad Company, walls covered with poster of hair bands, mementos of crazy times stuck in precarious places, a cherry mash and a nice cool Pepsi.  It was during these times that I was sure of what I was, where I was going, and how I was going to get there.

As the feeling of nostalgia wears away and I find myself standing  in the aisle with teary eyes I thought to myself, "To hell with eating healthy I am going to bake cupcakes that take me back to that."  So in true rebellious fashion I grab that 12 pack and dare someone to say a word about it.

On the way home I decided to make a chocolate cupcake with Pepsi incorporated into the batter and for that cherry mash deliciousness I stuck a maraschino cherry in the center.  Once the cupcakes cooled I mixed up a Pepsi and powdered sugar glaze and poured it on top.  For more cherry flavor I made a cherry cream cheese frosting and topped it with a cherry.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment