Sunday, December 26, 2010

So this is Christmas...

The presents have been opened, the leftovers are being eaten.  Thank goodness for leftovers because I am exhausted!  This year we stayed home and celebrated Christmas, just the 4 of us.  On Christmas Day we stayed in our pjs most of the day and ate dinner around 7.  It may have been the longest day ever, mainly because the kids woke up at 4:30 am!

Since we weren't going to be with other family I decided to try some candy recipes.  Years ago my Grangie gave me her recipes for candy and honestly I have not had the guts to try it.  She is a hard act to follow.  I did make candy this year, I just didn't make her candy.  Chicken?  Yes.  Maybe next year.  Maybe.

My main "TA-DA!" was Oreo Truffles.  It was relatively easy to do and it all started with a package of semi sweet baking chocolate, oreos and cream cheese.
Roll the oreo and cream cheese into 1 inch balls (or 2 inch :o)) and place them on parchment paper. Refrigerate for about an hour. 

Take the balls and dip them into melted semi sweet chocolate.  I couldn't get the balls to stay on the skewers to dip so I used a 2 spoon method.  I placed one ball in one spoon, scooped up the chocolate in the other and worked the ball back and forth between the spoons.  Amateur but hey it worked! Place the balls back into the fridge and chill for another hour.

I am in the middle of moving and started packing up about a month ago, leaving only the things I use everyday out.  So naturally, the slow cooker has been packed away.  I needed to melt the chocolate and didn't want to take the chance of burning it on the stove top.  I was faced with 2 choices: Dig through mountains of boxes or buy another one.  So off I went to the store.  On the way there I knew that I didn't want to buy another big slow cooker.  I picked this little darling up for $10 and I must say it was a truly genius moment!  It worked perfectly for melting the chocolate and I know it will work great for cake balls!  PLUS, $10?!  That's fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment